DEADLINE: June 2nd
SYNOPSIS: The person in this position provides advocacy services to DVERT clients.
TRAINING: Complete all training requirements as outlined on the DVERT orientation and training checklist (includes in-house training with DVERT, as well as DVERT Partner Agency cross training). To be completed within the first four weeks of employment.
· Treat clients with respect, dignity, and empathy.
· Carry a caseload of DVERT cases.
· Provide education and information to the client to support informed choices.
· Explain resources available to the client and children to assist them towards their recovery.
· Assist the client through the restraining order process
· Provide court support for the client.
· Make frequent phone contact with clients in high-risk domestic violence situations.
· Accompany DVERT law enforcement and DHS on home visits with victims of domestic violence.
· Work cooperatively with other agencies and individuals involved with the client to assure comprehensive service delivery to the client and children
· Deliver programs and services in a manner that is respectful and sensitive to the clients’ cultural experience.
· Carry an on-call pager on a rotating basis (typically one week per month) and respond to requests for assistance for DVERT and TESSA clients.
· Responsible for case presentation at Case Staffings.
· Keep information related to the client completely confidential as requested by the client.
· Develop expertise in a domestic violence related area.
· Provide training and community education as requested.
· Develop multicultural services, programming, and outreach as appropriate.
· Prevent, identify, and remove discriminatory barriers in services provided.
· Provide statistical information on all assigned DVERT cases.
· Maintain accurate documentation on every contact with the client.
· Maintain client files and ensure that all appropriate documenatation is represented in each file.
· Recognize that we hold attitudes and beliefs that can detrimentally influence our perceptions of and interactions with individuals who are diverse from ourselves.
· Recognize the importance of multicultural sensitivity, responsiveness to, knowledge of, and understanding about diversity.
· Apply the principles of multiculturalism and diversity in training and staff development.
· Apply culturally appropriate skills in all interactions with clients, co-workers, volunteers, partner agencies, and other community members.
· Use organizational change processes to support culturally informed organizational policies & procedures.
· Commit to TESSA’s organizational mission, vision, and operating philosophy.
· Attend staff, advocacy, & other relevant meetings, trainings, and inservices as assigned.
· Other duties and projects as required as requested by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Two years relevant experience; experience working with victims of domestic violence, law enforcement, and the criminal justice system.
· Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
· Ability to be on-call on a rotation basis; typically one week per month.
· Excellent organizational, communication (verbal and written), problem solving, listening and inter-personal skills
· Ability to take initiative, work independently with minimal guidance while also working as a member of a team, and advocate assertively on the client’s behalf.
· Attention to detail
· Ability to work well under stressful circumstances
· Ability to empathize, encourage and guide
· Knowledgeable and proficient computer skills
· Valid driver's license and car insurance
· Must have reliable transportation and phone
· Must be willing to complete background checks.
· Ability to read, write and speak English
· Fluency in Spanish and/or ASL preferred
· Ability to sit and concentrate for long periods of time
· Ability to climb stairs, if necessary
· Possesses vision sufficient to read and work on a computer
· Possesses hearing sufficient to communicate on phone and in person
· Ability to write legibly
· Ability to work long hours, intermittently
· Ability to tolerate all weather conditions
Contact [email protected] to apply.